There is perhaps nowhere on the body where the signs of aging occur more noticeably than the face. In fact, this is where most men and women report seeing the earliest signs of aging. These typically include fine lines and wrinkles, and they usually begin to appear as we reach our 30s, 40s, and 50s. In a time where looks seem to matter more than ever, it is not surprising that the facelift remains one of the most sought-after procedures across America each year. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jules Walters is proud to help New Orleans, LA area patients turn back the clock and achieve their ultimate aesthetic goals through a facelift procedure.
If you have begun to research your options for a facelift, you may find that there are quite a few different types and techniques. Moreover, technologies and research seem to be constantly changing in the world of cosmetic surgery. This wealth of ever-evolving information can be, understandably, overwhelming, but the knowledgeable team at Walters Plastic Surgery in Metairie, LA is here to help you get a firm grasp on the most modern and effective facelift options available to you, and to select the procedure that is most appropriate for you.
What is a facelift?
In broad terms, a facelift is a surgical procedure designed to enhance a patient’s facial appearance by tightening one or more layers of the face, excising excess skin, and employing additional techniques. However, a facelift is a highly complex and individualized procedure that is tailored to each patient based on his or her needs, goals, and a number of other factors. Some important considerations in determining which type of facelift will be performed, the technique that will be used, and associated treatments that may be combined with the procedure include:
- Skin type
- Skin tone
- Skin laxity
- Skin elasticity
- Previous treatments/surgeries performed
During your initial one-on-one consultation, Dr. Walters will assess all of these variables, answer your questions at length, explain your options in detail, and recommend a customized surgical plan that will best fit your situation.
What are the different types of facelifts?
While the facelift is undoubtedly one of the most commonly performed procedures across the country each year, it is anything but routine. When performed by a skilled, experienced, and qualified surgeon, a facelift is highly personalized and tailored for each individual patient. Dr. Walters will take a long list of factors into consideration when selecting the most appropriate facelift technique for each and every case in the greater New Orleans, LA area.
Some of the most widely used facelift techniques and variations include:
- SMAS facelift: In an SMAS facelift, the surgeon utilizes a true lifting technique, rather than tightening the skin alone. The SMAS layer of tissue sits deep within the face, between the subcutaneous fat and the muscles. By manipulating the skin and SMAS layers individually – rather than as a single layer – the SMAS facelift technique allows the surgeon to tighten and reposition the face in multiple directions and to a greater degree than is possible with other techniques. Furthermore, the SMAS lift typically produces a more natural-looking result than the deep plane facelift.
- Full facelift: The full facelift refers to a type of procedure, rather than the technique, such as a deep plane or SMAS facelift. Also known as a traditional facelift, the full facelift is able to address and correct the most advanced signs of aging across the entire face. In many cases, patients will choose to combine isolated procedures, such as blepharoplasty, with their full facelift to further enhance their results.
- Mid-facelift: The mid-facelift focuses on the middle portion of the face, including the cheeks and upper jaw, and can also address the jowls.
- Lower facelift: For patients whose primary concern is the lower face, the lower facelift can be a fantastic option. This procedure addresses features on the lower portion of the face, including the jowls, chin, and neck.
- Mini facelift: Men and women with less extensive concerns may benefit from the mini facelift. This procedure uses a smaller incision near the ears and is primarily designed to improve the look of the jaw, jowls, and mouth.
Regardless of which facelift type or technique is used, Dr. Walters’ ultimate goal is to help patients safely and effectively achieve a beautiful, more youthful appearance that still looks natural.
Are there any nonsurgical facelift alternatives?
For patients who may not be ready, willing, or able to undergo a surgical facelift, Dr. Walters and his exceptional team at Walters Plastic Surgery are thrilled to offer a variety of nonsurgical, noninvasive, and minimally invasive techniques for enhancing your appearance. Injectable dermal fillers, neurotoxins (like BOTOX®), and other agents can effectively address a variety of common complaints including lines, wrinkles, and the loss of facial volume. These treatments can even be added to a surgical facelift to create a more dramatic and, often, longer-lasting result.
Who is a good facelift candidate?
The best way to determine if a facelift procedure may be beneficial and appropriate for you is to be evaluated by a board-certified and highly experienced plastic surgeon. Call our convenient Metairie, LA facility to schedule your consultation with Dr. Jules Walters today, and learn more about how a facelift can help you turn back the clock by up to ten years!